Parksec Crime Update: 4 May – 10 May 2016:
The following includes crimes reported to us over the period.
More details relating to the incidents listed above:
- An attempted burglary occurred at 22nd street, homeowner was at his home when he saw 4 black males forcing his gate open, home owner pressed panic button, notified his wattsapp street group with a member contacting CORTAC on his behalf, action taken, however suspects fled in a Silver Honda Civic, reg. FWR 668 EC, nothing was stolen at premises.
- A home invasion occurred when 8 guys driving 3 bakkis , armed with hand guns held the gardener, who was outside the property, forced him into the home, whereby they held the domestic worker at gun point. Took TV’s CCTV camera, fridge , cell phone, electrical appliances. Suspects fled, no injuries.
- Vehicle theft was a silver polo vivo.
- A common robbery took place when a domestic worker was robbed by 2 black males & 2 white males at gun point, suspects’ bundled worker into a car were very aggressive & threatening, stole cash. Unknown vehicle with unknown registration.
Lessons learned from the above incidents:
- Keep perimeter security systems (electric fence and outdoor beams) armed at all times.
- Staff members working outside the property, e.g. gardeners should not have a remote with them. An arrangement to let the staff member in and out of the property needs to be made with someone inside the house. Issue domestic staff with panic buttons and ensure that they are accessible at all times.
- Report anything that doesn’t look right to CORTAC on 086 126 7822.Ensure this number is saved to your phone and all employees know the number too. You needn’t be a CORTAC subscriber to make use of this service.
REMEMBER: No matter how small the crime may be we stress that you report the matter ASAP Your crime matter may seem small to you, however all information is important and may help to stop a bigger crime or lead to further bigger arrests.
Often the smaller crimes, as small as drinking in public spaces lead to bigger crimes, armed robberies and the likes
The SAPS sector vehicle (sector 2) responsible for Parkhurst and Parktown North can be contacted directly on 071 675 6062/3
Parkview Police Station contact numbers:
- Switchboard: 011 486 5000
- Ops Room: 011 486 5057/8
- Front Desk: 011 486 5038
- Sector Manager for Park Sector (Parkhurst and Parktown North) Constable Makhudu: 082 548 7307 or 071 675 6062 or 071 675 6063
- Station Commander Colonel Kubone – 071 675 9994
Please continue to report any suspicious activity / individuals in the area so we can stop crime before it hits – CORTAC control room (086 126 7822). You don’t need to be a CORTAC subscriber to call in suspicious activity.
- There have been three high-jackings on Jan Smuts over the past weeks
- Corner Jan Smuts & Bompass
- Corner Jan Smuts & William Nicol
- Corner Jan Smuts & Westminster
Once again we would like to reiterate that hijackings and armed robberies are on the increase in the greater Johannesburg area.
BE SAFE – Ensure that you are aware of your surroundings wherever you go – at home, dropping and collecting from schools, visiting friends and shopping centres.
BE AWARE – Be extra vigilant when using ATM’s to avoid bank card theft.
BE PROACTIVE – attend one of our weekly Driveway Armed Robbery Awareness sessions and send your domestics and gardeners to our Domestic Worker Security Awareness Training sessions in your area.
- REMEMBER: If you own an IPHONE and are involved in a burglary/ hijacking etc please do not block your phone, the SAPS are using IPHONE’s to track suspects, and is proving successful. (you can block your sim to alleviate calls to & from, however please do not block your device)
- Crime is taking place primarily during the day time, at night we all tend to have our doors closed and security activated, whereas during the day homes are open & security deactivated as we/domestic workers (etc.) carry out daily activities. PLEASE BE AS VIGILANT DURING THE DAY as you would AT NIGHT.
DRIVEWAY ARMED ROBBERY AWARENESS SESSION:
Parksec in conjunction with CORTAC will be holding Driveway armed robbery courses every weekend in the Parks area. The sessions will take place on Saturdays and last 30minutes. ALL are WELCOME and we urge you all to attend one of the sessions as they are extremely beneficial.
Awareness sessions this week will take place at:
Parkhurst, 8th street at 9:00am
Parktown North, 11th ave at 11:00am
Please see the CORTAC Facebook page for further details.
TIP 1: Keep an old wallet /old cell phone / old hand bag in your car and hand those over should you ever be in the unfortunate event of a high-jacking.
TIP 2: Keep a dummy safe in your pantry with R400 cash, old passports and some costume jewelry, and direct criminals to this safe, should you ever encounter a home invasion.
If you would like to find out more about the Parksec security initiative, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep safe and be aware!
The Parksec Committee
CORTAC PRODUCT OFFERING
Follow CORTAC on Twitter @cortacsecurity
Like CORTAC on Facebook www.facebook.com/cortac/
Products offered by CORTAC:
- Tactical solutions, including proactive policing
- Armed reaction
- Alarm and CCTV installations and monitoring
- Vehicle tracking
- Forensic and criminal investigations
- Close protection
- Logistics and technology modelling and implementation